Thursday, July 22, 2010

Scooter Queen

I can't believe it's been one week since my surgery. It seems like it just happened and like it's been forever, all at the same time. This may, just possibly, be due to the medication I currently require. Just a working theory.
I had my one week check up yesterday with Dr. Gillean (one day early, since Thursdays are her regular surgery days). So far, so good. She cut the strings off of each end of my incision. The surgi-strip things stay on until, at least, I go back in next Wednesday. She's happy with my progress. She said my "after" was so pretty compared to my "before"...I've seen the before pictures and I'd have to say there really was nowhere but up.
Dr. Gillean said the totally out of it feeling (physically and otherwise) would last about another week. Then, I'd slowly start to feel like I was making some progress with recovery. Just about then is when I'll be starting the Lupron. She never seemed like a kick-a-person-while-they're-down sort of person, but I'm starting to wonder. Seriously though, she wants me to feel a lot more normal before starting the Lupron - therefore, this week was not a possibility. She said maybe next week, but probably the third week out.
I had a couple fun outings yesterday and today - Super Target and Costco. I know, shocking. Truly shocking. Both adventures were cleared by my doctor, as long as I was using a scooter at each place - versus walking...which, was not even a consideration. So, I unplugged the scooter and off I went! Yesterday, at Super Target, it was just me and Mimi. Today, for Costco, we also had Ashlyn. Little was extremely interested in the fact that Mommy got to drive around the store. Luckily, she got why I was doing it, so there was no battle over whether or not she could scoot along with me.
Also yesterday, I got to go with Mimi to pick Colson and Ashlyn up from school. Very exciting for all involved! Colson was super excited because his teacher had gotten him up after nap time, (aka, the time Colson does not sleep, but hangs out on his cot plotting to slowly take over the world), to make me a get well card. It's, of course, the cutest! He cut out piece of construction paper to make flowers on the front and wrote "Get Well Mommy". Inside, he drew each member of his family (people, cats and dog!). He drew me holding flowers, Ashlyn in a pink dress with flowers on it, Steve in a blue shirt and himself in a red shirt (his favorite color, of course). Inside, it says, "Love, Colson"...I think both his teacher and I had tears in our eyes - it was so sweet!
Today, I got a beautiful vase filled with the most gorgeous roses of all colors from our amazing friends at Vickerman. Apparently, they don't only know how to produce the best Christmas trees, but they know a thing or two about roses as well! So unbelievably sweet and touching.
Finally, I must apologize for not pointing out something important in my last post...though I must say I'm a bit foggy, so I'm not quite remembering to write everything...nor am I remembering what I write a few minutes after I write it!
Anyway, enormous group of loyal readers (wow, those medications really do make me foggy) do you know the title of The West Wing, Season 3, Episode 7? Probably not, unless you're Alex, the West Wing King. Will Ellie's first doll be named Bradley Whitford? It would be appropriate.
Thanks for reading! Night night to all!

4 comments:

Alex Eckert said...

"Indians in the Lobby"...

Anyone know the name of episode 15 of season two??? (which, by the way, is the best season in my opinion). On a side note, I don't even recognize seasons 5, 6, and 7 as being an actual part of the series.

Great call on Ellie's first doll being named Bradley Whitford. But c'mon now....of course he'll be named Josh Lyman.

Kelly said...

Ellie (aka, season 2, episode 15) will be confused when someone calls her dolls Barbie and Ken. Thankfully, due to years of growing up on the West Wing, she will shoot back a quick and intelligent, yet appropriately sarcastic, comment containing the following information: "Barbie and Ken. Please. They are C.J and Josh."

Alex Eckert said...

"Ellie" indeed. Though two comments.... Ellie Bartlet is actually Elanor, and no, my daughter's name has nothing to do with the show. Stacy actually chose the name Ellie.

One more comment...am I really talking this much about the West Wing on a blog?!?!

Kelly said...

Elanor...impressive and scary that you know this.

And, this comment section of the blog has turned into our own message area. If people actually start reading this blog, we'll just have to email back and forth.